Legal Documents: Court of Appeals
Documents relating to the Court of Appeals processing.
- Appellants' Opening Brief - On May 22, 2000, Copyright's Commons joined Eric Eldred in filing this brief to appeal the District Court's decision against us.
- On June 6, the Eagle Forum filed this amicus brief in support of Eric Eldred and Copyright's Commons.
- Government Response Brief - In July, the government responded by filing this brief with the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals.
- On July 21, the Sherwood Anderson Foundation, Motion Picture Association of America, Recording Industry of America and Association of American Publishers (among others) filed this amicus brief in support of the government.
- Appellants' Final Brief - We then filed a final corrected brief with the Court of Appeals on August 7, 2000.
- DC Circuit Decision - On February 16, 2001, the DC Circuit issued a 2-1 decision, rejecting our claims in Eldred v. Reno. The majority decision is available in full here, or you may prefer this summary. A spirited dissent from Judge Sentelle agrees with our contention that the CTEA is unconstitutional.
- Plaintiffs File Petition for Rehearing en Banc, April 2, 2001
- D.C. Circuit Denies En Banc Rehearing, July 13, 2001
- Judges Sentelle and Tatel dissented.